Monday, August 07, 2006

random

I awake to a sensation unfamiliar to me. Instead of the chill wind whipping through my body, I feel warmth and security. I know I should be worried as to why I'm not in the alley anymore, but somehow, my fear has left me in my sleep. This is wholly unnusual for me, for until this moment, I have not known a time when I was not afraid. From my childhood at the orphanage, to my adolescence haunting the streets of the city, to these past few years searching desperately for work.

Cautiously, I let my eyes slide open and I am overwhelmed by what I see. I am laying in a soft bed, in a large room, with a balcony overlooking fresh, green fields. The sun is just beginning to rise over the hills and the air is crisp and fresh as a breeze slips through the doors opening out onto the balcony. Lifting my head just a bit, I look around at my new surroundings and that is when I see you. Apparently, I have been lying on top of you, using you as a pillow, and you do not seem to have minded. I don't immediately recognize you, but in my heart, I feel that you mean me no harm. You are beautiful, but there is a worn quality to your appearance; you have seen many battles and have lived through many horrors. There is a wary peace in your sleep, your brow is smooth, but you frown. I discover I have draped a protective arm round your waist, my other tucked under myself; your own arm is lying softly on my shoulder, the other laid across your chest. You trust me, enough to allow me into your bed, though for what reason, I cannot fathom. I am a thief, a harlot, a scoundrel, and the scourge of the streets. I do not belong in a noblewoman's bed, least of all with her in it as well.

There is a tugging in the corner of my mind, telling me I need to escape before I'm discovered, but I cannot leave you. I'm trapped here, watching you sleep. The sun crests the hill and rises into the morning sky, setting your golden hair alight. Soft light spills over your face, giving it depth and detail. My fingers tremblingly follow my eyes as I gently trace your features. The fine jaw, high forehead, cheekbones like razors, cupid's bow lips. I have seen you before, but I don't know where. As I rack my mind to remember your face, you stir, drawing in breath. My muscles tense to bolt, but I don't move, captivated by you. I want to run, slip out before I'm thrown out, but I just can't, I can't seem to make my legs move as I watch your eyes open. Two eyes, bluer than sapphires, still hazy with sleep fell upon my frozen form.

I open my mouth to speak, but words seem to have forsaken me as a smile graces your lips.

No comments: